Wednesday 26 March 2008

Madrid is Crazy. No, Really...

On my first day, I passed no less than seven people - men and women, young and old - who were talking to themselves. The first day. It doesn't sound worth mentioning, I know, but it was really strange - hand gestures and everything...

Aside from that little eccentricity, Madrid has a good vibe about it. And lots of attractive places...




I love how all the street signs are decorative.




There seems to be a museum for everything here - even ham:


Palacio Real:


Plaza Mayor:


Amusing little bar sign - I wonder how long it's been there?...


The main thing that stands out in Madrid is all the art - it's everywhere!

This building is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen:




The sidewalk along Passeo del Prado is lined with sculptures by Polish artist Igor Mitoraj:











I was in Madrid for the week of Semana Santa and stumbled across a somber yet celebratory night-parade involving people in costumes creepily reminiscent of kkk robes carrying candles, huge wooden crosses and entire stages depicting Christ, Mary and different saints.




Spain's "Little Egypt" - an actual Egyptian Temple in Madrid:









There was a Picasso exhibit at the Reina Sofia on loan from Paris, and after huddling under Irish-Ben's umbrella queuing for the Prado, we cruised around seeking out Goya, Rembrant, Caravaggio and Raphael, among others.

We also went to the planeh-arium. Ahem.

Not as impressive as I'd hoped but it still had that calming effect that images of planets, moons, stars and infinite, silent space have always had on me.

Now a crash course in Catalan and it's off to Barcelona!

Fins després!

No comments: