Thursday 6 March 2008

Lost in Lisbon

Lisbon...everyday I walked around a different area of the city, getting lost repeatedly. Because of this I didn't make it to many of the places I wanted to go, but I'm left with a distinct impression nonetheless.

This is the Baixa area, where the hostel is:







And Barrio Alto...






Rossio Square at dusk, with St George's Castle on the hilltop...I wasn't planning on going around Lisbon at night by myself because everyone tells me it's dangerous if you're alone, but...


I had my very own guide - Mauro, a waiter I met.


We went for dinner at one of the sidewalk restaurants and he showed me around downtown (even some seedier areas). He was acting very protective - kinda sweet.
Before I get a slew of email enquiries: there was no romance, just friendship. C'mon ladies, he's only 22!

But yeah...he's pretty hot. You should hear him speak Portuguese. Whew.

This is Santa Justa Elevator - it's been around since 1902.




Views from the top platform...






I had to take a break and have a picnic in the Botanical Garden.






Tonight, off to Seville.

I've noticed that every mirror I come across is very slightly warped. Seriously - the one in the hostel dorm, in the cafe I went to with Mauro, in the washroom at the garden...

Every time I see myself, I'm different.

No comments: