Tuesday 10 June 2008

Munchin' in München...

...white asparagus, beets, crepes, massive pretzels, apfelstrudel and delicious currywurst, mmmmm.

There was also plenty-o-drinkin' in München.


The Hofbrauhaus is pretty much the biggest tourist attraction in Munich's city center.

This huge beer hall is what Bavaria is all about - some people show up and chow down in traditional dress, and there are little stein-lockers everywhere for the regulars!




There's Lisa ecstatic with her Dunkel Radler (dark beer and lemonade).


Me with my straight-up dunkel (dark beer). This place is wicked.

And oh how ze Germans love their beer.

So far I've seen beer bottles opened with the top of a water bottle, on a counter, with a thumb ring (how cool is that! I must master it!) and perhaps most impressive, with a piece of paper. I cut myself trying that one but I won't give up.


We came upon a little fish-fair near one of the two city gates...but neither of us was brave enough to try the fish-on-a-stick. The fishy booth was right next to the crepe booth - come on!




The English Garden is a cool respite from the sun, especially alongside the river, which snakes along from mini-rapids to tiny brook throughout the park.


It helps, when wandering through a massive urban park, to have a destination in mind. Beer is a good destination. Beer and pretzels. There's a massive outdoor beer garden in the middle of the park, kind of organized around this big chinese pavillion thingy.


A great little market that's open all week in Munich - the Viktualien Market.



The Deutsches Museum for Science and Technology was unbelievably cool - this is the Foucault's Pendulum, which demonstrates the daily rotation of the earth on its axis:


Love this astrological clock: it tells you which signs the sun and moon are in, and something about the planets that I can't quite decipher, and for those who are too rushed to ponder their position in the cosmos and what it all means, it tells you the regular time of day as well.


The sundial garden on the roof of the Deutsches Museum was fascinating:







All kinds of different sundials from different ages - 3000 years ago in Greece; 1477 in the Black Forest in Germany; 12th Century in Islamic countries...

The view from that roof is quite the attraction too - I stopped paying for views a while ago in my travels, but free (or rather, included) views are always a lovely surprise.





I love Munich. I came here because I heard it was a "city for living" and not too touristy, and I found it to be exactly that. Perfect.






The other great thing about Munich...and Germany in general (aside from the men - who are hot hot hot, by the way):


That's 250g of my favourite chocolate - the Praline Rittersport. I even have to capitalize it to convey how much I revere this chocolate.

Ha, I'm in Big Trouble.

1 comment:

Christine Estima said...

love that photo, you saucy minx!