Tuesday 19 February 2008

Never Underestimate a Thai Chick with a Warm Smile and Hot Oil

Who would've thought getting yanked around, prodded and smacked could be so relaxing? Although I didn't expect a full body massage, that's exactly what I got. At one point she had me on my back and started to lift the sheet, saying 's ok? s ok?' and I nodded, not knowing what to expect.

Boob massage. That's right. With oil and everything. Stomach too, which felt kinda funny cuz she was really digging in. I tried somewhat unsuccessfully to stifle a giggle at my own awkwardness. I feel like I should call or send flowers...

The next day Louise and I went to the Global Village in Dubai - a shopping extravaganza and amusement park that lasts for 10 weeks every year. It was beautiful.

This is the India pavillion - by far the biggest one.



Egypt had the most amazing dresses...


Palestine with the ferris wheel behind it. Watch out for Spiderman.


Lebanon on the left.


And a little panorama for ya...


One of the merchants in the Yemen pavillion (really nice guy).


Cinnamon sticks to last a lifetime...also make handy wacking sticks.


We stopped for a bite in the food-court type area (a bunch of arabic, indian and lebanese cafes, along with KFC and Burger King). Surrounded by women in full abayas, some with their faces and hands covered as well. I couldn't get over the irony (or is it oxymoronic?) of Shaggy's Hey Sexy Lady blaring over the speakers.

As I get to see more of Dubai, the massive scale of construction becomes more apparent. Apparently 24% of the entire world's cranes are here. It creates a shifting landscape all it's own - cranes and bulldozes glinting in the setting sun, picture-postcard-worthy indeed.

Although it's gorgeous here, the class divisions are really pronounced. For instance, right next to these newly built hotels and beautiful gated communities like the one Dad and Louise live in, there are tiny buildings housing more people than you'd think possible. I snapped a few quick shots when no one was looking.





Also, Emirati's are always served first - they don't wait in lineups.

The more important people (like the sheikh) are designated as such by their license plates, among other things. The majority of plates have five numbers, some have four and even fewer have three. I haven't seen any two-numbered plates yet, but a
vanity #1 was just auctioned off for $14 Million U.S.

No comments: