Saturday 10 May 2008

Extraordinary, Tragic, Unmistakable Venice...


In Venice, I resolutely avoided any and all museums, monuments and/or historical sights.

After Naples, Rome and Florence, I needed a break. Also, it was rainy and rather chilly for most of my time in Venice so I took to cafe-hopping.

It went like this: walk...find cafe with pleasing atmosphere...locate corner table...order vino rosso or cafe...alternate reading and enjoying the view...walk...repeat. It was splendid.

So my pictures of Venice are devoid of any context; they are aimless...pure imagery.



























One cool thing I found was Il Canovaccio, one of the many upscale mask shops crowding the streets of Venice, except this one provided the masks for the orgy scene in Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut. The scene with the final ritual has pretty cool masks too - be forewarned, there is one naked chick in this clip.





Venice was way too touristy, but the Murano glass is beautiful. I saw so much glass that my dreams were populated by glinting beads and shimmery glazes: clear emeralds, multi-tonal blues and opaque whites, in diamond, square and spiral shapes...they were the most beautiful dreams.

As romantic as Venice is, three days was more than enough. I found it funny that for all it's reputed romanticism, at the place where I stayed I was flanked by fighting couples - english on the right and french on the left, ha.

I'm so looking forward to Beligum, if only to escape the throngs of tourists.

And of course, PORTISHEAD. Woo-eee.


No comments: